I’ve had a hankering to do some brightly-colored cheery spring art! I even added the 21 to it because that’s right around the day spring season officially started (it’s either the 20th or 21st – I never can remember).
Here’s what I did:
I used book pages for the background layer. I used an old Sam’s Club card to apply gel medium under the pages and over them. The gel medium dries clear and creates a nice surface you can write or paint on.
Then I brushed on some yellow paint – I was thinking about daffodils – in a random fashion.
Next, I added another paper element. I think this card came from an issue of Flow magazine. I brushed some of the same yellow paint onto the card to help it look more at home.
I took some of the deli paper I printed using the gelli plate and wrapped it on the bottom edge and up onto the board, using the gel medium to adhere it. I really like the effect – the deli paper is transparent. Doesn’t it look cool?
I had some background paper laying out that I had painted with spring colors with the idea using it for an April calendar; that’s a story for another blog post. I had ink and a round brush nearby from the art journal class so I hand lettered Easter words on it.
I didn’t know what I wanted to do with that page, so it was just sitting out on my work desk. That’s what I used to cover two other sides. See? Being messy pays sometimes. 🙂
I added a few more elements and marks. Even a big green blob, for some reason. Since the surface is coated with gel medium, I could sketch on it and erase as needs me. Good thing, too, because I had a time drawing those eggs. I think of eggs as being oval when it turns out they’re more, er, egg-shaped.
Next, I painted the eggs. I wanted them to look like the eggs my brother and I had colored as kids, using the Paas kits – those bright primary colors. First, I had to decide which eggs to paint which colors. So I did this.
I know. I have this weird mix of right-brain and left-brain. I painted the colors onto pieces, cut them out, and arranged them and rearranged them until they were in the order I wanted.
I used a stencil, some rub-ons, and a paint marker to add more interest.
The other side covered with gelli-printed deli paper:
That green blob of paint bugged me. It seemed too jarring. I covered it with bright turquoise. Then it picks up the turquoise on the deli paper near the bottom.
To finish, I highlighted the Easter eggs with a little white, and dripped gold acrylic paint from the top. I spritzed the gold paint with water to get it drip better. Since the surface is covered with the gel medium, the water doesn’t mess up any of the paper or paint beneath.